Federal Employees Workers Compensation Question...

by Mary
(Springfield, Virginia)

While on temporary duty (TDY) for the Federal Government in Dallas, TX I slipped on a slanted burb on the hotel driveway when I was entering the hotel. I had three fractures of the pelvis, bruised ribs and right arm.

The accident happened in December 2007 at a hotel. A claim was filed with the Department of Labor and accepted. But the Dept of Labor is requesting I submit a third party claim to recover damages. Does this mean I have to get a lawyer and sue the hotel?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Federal Employees Workers Compensation Question...":

A third party claim means that you would sue the hotel for damages if they are at fault. In order for the hotel to be at fault, however the claim must meet the requirements of premises liability. The hotel, in this instance, would be responsible to regularly inspect for known dangers and warn of them.

From your description, you slipped on a slanted curb on the hotel driveway as you entered the hotel. From your brief description, it does not appear that the hotel was liable. However, if you have more information such as pooled water or some other dangerous condition, this may give rise to a more detailed examination of the facts.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Federal Workers' Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: