Fell Down the Steps at My Job...

by John
(Harrisonburg, VA)

I was carrying a big printer down some steps at work in 2006 and the steps weren't lit very well. I couldn't see the next step and fell down them and the printer landed on my knee. At first I was okay but then my knee swelled up and they sent me to their doctor.

He x-rayed my knee and said that it would be fine and told me to go back to work. Now my knee pops all the time and it hurts very bad when it pops, after each time it pops I can't put any weight on it for a while.

Do I have any way of getting my knee fixed or getting compensation for the continued pain and discomfort my knee is giving me?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fell Down the Steps at My Job...":

John (Harrisonburg, VA):

Regrettably, no. The Statute of Limitations for personal injury cases in the State of Virginia is two (2) years. A Statute of Limitations is the time period in which an injured person has to either settle a personal injury case or to file a lawsuit. Once that time period expires it is legally impossible to pursue the case in court.

If you are working for the same company you may still have a chance of asking them to pay for any of the medical bills you may now incur to treat your injured knee. Although a workmans compensation claim normally must be filed within ninety (90) days, in the State of Virginia there are some exceptions.

If you are no longer employed by the company you will regrettably be out of legal luck. At this point all you will be able to do is do the best you can to alleviate the pain.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Fall at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: