Fell in a Pothole...

by Cindy
(San Diego, California)

I fell in a crosswalk downtown. The cobblestones were removed from the crosswalk making a pothole. I fell hard, badly bruised my knees and jerked my shoulder and neck.

I already filed a complaint with the risk management department and I did go to my doctor. I'm meeting with a claims adjuster today. What can I expect?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fell in a Pothole...":

Cindy (San Diego, California):

The Claims Adjuster will in all probability ask you for a recorded statement. That is perfectly normal. Explain in detail what happened. Answer her questions fully and without exaggeration. She is an expert and is trained to respect facts, and dismiss hyperbole.

Because your claim was filed against a municipality, you are undoubtedly going through an administrative settlement process. That process can be long and laborious. Unless your injuries were very serious you can count on a settlement which will be quite conservative.

Municipalities are well known for being frugal when it comes to paying claims. Your leverage will be limited. Unfortunately your settlement offer will probably be on a “take it or leave it” basis. If you are not satisfied with the offer you are made you can always consider legal intervention.

If the amount of your medical bills, out of pocket expenses, and lost wages is conservative, hiring an attorney may not be the way to go. The amount you may be left with after attorneys fees may not be what you expect.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Public Property Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: