Fell In an Uncovered Drainage Hole at Work...

by Connie
(Crest Hill, Illinois)

I fell in an open drainage hole because the cover/plate was not on the hole as it should be. This happened while I was working and I'm currently going to therapy for an injury to my shoulder as a result of the fall. My company rents the office space from an outside landlord.

My question is: Can I sue the owner of the building or my employer (or both) for the medical costs of my injury?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fell In an Uncovered Drainage Hole at Work...":

Connie (Crest Hill, Illinois):

If your employer has workers compensation insurance you can not sue her. You may though have a case against the building owner.

To have any chance of being successful in a claim against the building owner you will have to have some evidence it was the building owner's responsibility to maintain the manhole cover. If the building owner wasn't responsible for its maintenance you will have to look to the city, county, or state to learn which entity is responsible for the maintenance of the manhole covers.

The important issue is your absolute legal right to sue a third party when there is sufficient evidence of that party's negligence or responsibility for maintenance of such things as manhole covers.

Once you identify the responsible party you can proceed with your third party claim. Remember, the reimbursement or compensation you may receive from workers compensation insurance should have no bearing on your third party claim. They are both separate claims. There is no "set-off". Your settlement of one side of the case should have nothing to do with the other case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Workers Comp Third Party Lawsuit Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: