Fell on Spilled Juice at the Market...

by Dawn
(Chicago, IL)

I was in a market on Sunday and I did not see spilled juice in the isle. I slipped and fell on my knee and it is still bruised. People saw me fall and someone alerted an employee that I fell and there was a spill, but I didn't personally say anything to a manager.

Can I still get compensation for my injury? What do I have to do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fell on Spilled Juice at the Market...":

Dawn (Chicago, IL):

Go to your local hospital or medical clinic. Before knowing if you will be compensated, the nature of your injury will have to be established and documented. If the doctor thinks the bruise is serious enough she may order an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) examination, Cat Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography), or X-rays.

If the examinations comes back positive and indicates fractures or torn ligaments, you should have a good case against the market. If you have suffered fractured or torn ligaments the next step is to contact the manager of the market and inform her of your injuries and the date and place they occurred. Hopefully the employee reported your fall to the manager and a written report of your fall and injury was documented.

From there the manager will have their insurance company’s representative contact you within a few weeks. The contact will be from a Claims Adjuster. Give her your recoded statement. She will guide you about the nature of the procedure for settling the claim.

If, on the other hand, your injuries are just bruising, you really won’t have a valid claim against the market.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Supermarket Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: