Fell on Wet Steps in My Apartment Building...

by Anonymous

I was leaving my apartment to go to the store to get the Sunday paper. I rushed out of my home with flip flops on. As I was leaving I saw the maintenance guy as he was mopping one side of the building, so I went down the other.

As I approached the stairs I didn't notice that the stairs were soaking wet, so I kept on walking. As I went down the steps I fell, spraining my big toe and now my back has a lot of pain. What do I do now? Would I be able to get a settlement even though this occurred in the building I live in?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fell on Wet Steps in My Apartment Building...":

Anonymous (USA):

You may have a claim against the building owner and its management. Before you know if you have a claim you must have accomplished two tasks:

The first would have been to document your fall and resultant injuries with management. That would even include having contacted the maintenance man. Of course, having filed a written report with management would be the very best documentation.

Second, there must also be documentation of your injuries. To document those injuries you must see at least one doctor. If you are suffering severe pain and discomfort to your back or toe the doctor may order an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) examination. She may also order a CAT Scan (Computer Axial Tomography) examination.

Both examinations will be able to identify damage to your bones and organs. If, after being examined, your doctor finds serious injuries to your bones or organs, you will be able to begin a strong claim against the building owner and its management.

If not, you can still pursue your claim, although it will be difficult to convince the insurance company to pay you any compensation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Stair Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: