Fell Outside My Apartment Complex...

by Krista
(Auburn, AL)

I was walking between my and my mother-in-law's apartment (we live at the same complex). I went to run down the grassy hill, fell into a hole/dip in the grass and twisted my ankle pretty badly. I went to the doctor that night and am being referred to an orthopedic specialist. I later found out that my apartment manager was supposed to do an incident report and has failed to inquire about the incident.

I'm wondering if they are required to pay for the emergency room visit and/or the orthopedic specialist? Thanks for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fell Outside My Apartment Complex...":

Krista (Auburn, AL):

We checked and there isn't any law in the State of Alabama which requires a landlord or property owner to pay for an injured tenant's medical bills. You can though attempt to recover an amount for your injuries from the landlord and owner of the property.

To do so contact the landlord first. Ask her to reimburse you for your medical bills, past, present, and future. Explain what happened and tell her why you believe she should pay your bills.

You may have a problem. It is unlikely the landlord or owner of the property will agree to pay you because you twisted your ankle while running instead of walking down a grassy hill, even if there was a dip or hole at the bottom.

To be able to have a legitimate claim you would have to prove the landlord or owner was negligent in some way. It will be quite difficult to show they were negligent just because there was a dip or hole in the grass.

You probably would not have twisted your ankle if you had been walking instead of running. The landlord and owner will probably tell you that. And they are probably correct. It appears you really don't have a case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Apartment Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: