Fired after head this legal?

by Lyn

I was injured on 3/25/2013. While cleaning the bathrooms, a prop ski fell on my forehead. I was placed off work by my doctor and I have not been back to work since the date of the accident. I am still awaiting further medical treatment. I was recently fired from my job. I received my letter of termination on 10/13/2013 by certified mail because it was sent to the wrong address.

The insurance company denied my request for my medical treatment, is that illegal? And does this qualify as a wrongful termination? Any insight you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Fired after head this legal?":

Lyn (Hawaii):

Presuming you are talking about a workers compensation claim, the insurance company may have denied your claim after an investigation of the underlying facts. The insurance company had the right to deny a workers comp claim if they found the injury was not work related, or the underlying facts weren't sufficient to connect your injury with the incident.

Don't despair. You are still well within the statutory period for contesting the insurance's company's denial. You can do so by contacting the State of Hawaii's Disability Compensation Division. Their office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 am to 4:30 pm, except State holidays.

Their address is:
830 Punchbowl Street, Room 209
Honolulu, HI 96813.

Their mailing address is:
P.O. Box 3769
Honolulu, HI 96812-3769

If you don't want to pursue your own appeal you can consult with a workers compensation attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. If you can find an attorney to accept your appellate claim you will not have to pay and legal fees until, and unless your attorney is successful.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Fired After Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: