Food Poisoning from Frozen Sherbert...

by Doris

My boyfriend brought some frozen sherbert from a large chain supermarket. The first night he ate some he got very ill. I didn't know he got sick because I was sleeping, so the next day I had a cup and also became very ill.

I continued to feel ill for four days and finally my boyfriend took me to the ER and they immediately hooked me up to an IV. They said I was badly dehydrated. After keeping me for a couple of hours they released me with a prescription.

I reported all this to the supermarket store manager and he had someone call me from the corporate office. They were supposed to send me some paperwork but I haven't received anything yet. I still have the frozen ice cream in the freezer.

What can I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Food Poisoning from Frozen Sherbert...":

Doris (Florida):

You mention you still have the ice cream in the freezer. We presume you are considering legal action against the chain supermarket. To successfully pursue a legal claim against the supermarket you will have to prove the ice cream was tainted. To do so the ice cream will have to be tested by a certified and credible lab.

Because doing so must be done in a manner which will involve what is legally referred to as "chain of custody" you would be well-served to consult with a personal injury attorney. A qualified personal injury attorney will know how to preserve the evidence properly and legally.

Get a copy of your medical records and those of your husband. Make sure you secure each document related to your admission and treatment and those of your husband. Those records include everything from the admitting forms, through your charts and discharge paper,s and those of your husband.

Once you have all the records you will be better able to assist your attorney with you and your husband's case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Food Contamination and Poisoning Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: