Found metal in frozen pancakes...

by T
(North Carolina)

I purchased a bag of frozen pancakes from the supermarket yesterday. I had eaten two and then got two out for my daughter. I then found what appeared to be a piece of metal sticking out the side of the frozen pancake. It was approximately 1.5 inches long. We haven't taken the product back to store or called them yet.

I'm wondering what I should do? This is obviously a danger but we weren't hurt. Should I file a complaint with the FDA or something?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Found metal in frozen pancakes...":

T (North Carolina):

Take the pancake box along with the pancake with the metal protruding from it back to the store where you purchased it. It's highly likely they will refund your money. You can also contact the manufacturer directly by writing to them and enclosing several photographs of the pancake box along with the pancake with the metal protruding from it.

You may receive an apology, or a gift certificate, but not much more.

At best your notification to the store and the manufacturer may cause them to investigate the reason the metal found its way into the pancake and correct the cause so no other person is injured.

Thankfully no one was injured. If someone had been you would have the basis of a personal injury lawsuit. If someone had been injured by the metal pancake they would be entitled to reimbursement for medical bills, out of pocket expenses for medications, lost wages, and an amount for pain and suffering.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Food Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: