Getting sued by driver who rear ended ME!

by Anonymous

I had a flat tire that was wedged in the wheel well so I stopped my car on the highway. I had the emergency lights on but a man rear ended me from behind. My car was totaled. I was transported to the ER for a whiplash injury and still suffer from constant neck and back pain. I have physical therapy three times a week.

The police did not say if the party at fault got a ticket or if there is a court date. The man is suing me and my insurance company for negligence. I don't understand how he could sue me. I'm the one who was injured and he rear ended my car! How could this happen? Is there anything I can do about this? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Getting sued by driver who rear ended ME!":

Anonymous (USA):

Anyone can sue anyone else, at anytime, for just about anything. That doesn't mean they have a good case, or any chance of winning.

To clarify matters, the man technically isn't suing your insurance company. If a lawsuit has in fact been filed it must be against you personally, or the company for whom you worked if you were driving a company car at the time of the collision. In addition, if the car was driven by you but owned by someone else, the owner of the car is subject to be sued as well.

There's not a whole lot you can do at this point. If a lawsuit has been filed it's effectively out of your hands. You must leave it to your insurance company to defend the suit. All you have to do is cooperate with your insurance company and you will be covered up to the limits of your policy.

Unfortunately, if your insurance company decides to settle the case, you won't be able to stop them.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Rear-end Collision Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: