Given a Ticket After Getting Hit by a Deer While Driving...

by Henry
(Nottoway, VA)

A deer ran into the side of my car and pushed me off the road into a tree, my car was damaged and I was injured. The officer working the scene gave me a ticket for failure to maintain control of a vehicle. I have full coverage on my vehicle.

So my question is, can I still file a medical claim with my auto insurance even with the ticket I was given by the officer? And why did I get a ticket when I was pushed out of the road by a deer? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Given a Ticket After Getting Hit by a Deer While Driving...":

Henry (Nottoway, VA):

Yes, you can file a claim with your insurance company. You were injured in an automobile collision and your policy will cover your injuries. The issuance of a citation will not affect your claim at all.

Depending on the number of previous claims you may have filed, the number of years you have been with your insurance company, and other related factors, your premiums may rise. If you haven’t already filed a claim with your company, do so at the earliest possible time. Handle the claim just as if you were the victim of a collision with another driver.

The officer’s action in issuing a citation for failing to maintain control of your vehicle does sound a bit strange, especially as you ran into a deer. There may be other factors which influenced her decision.

Unless we knew what those factors were, it is very difficult for us to know why she made that decision. If you disagree you can certainly enter a plea of not guilty and fight the case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Broken Traffic Law Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: