Harassed by a Restaurant Employee...

by Sharon

Restaurant employee drew a VERY vulgar phallic image on my to-go box and my name with an arrow. Upon bringing it to management's attention their response has been inappropriate and inadequate.

I am a previous employee of said restaurant who had been fired a year before and had experienced MANY issues of inappropriate sexist behavior during my employment.

What are my rights as a consumer and/or ex-employee?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Harassed by a Restaurant Employee...":

Sharon (VA)

Keep the evidence. If there were any other people who witnessed the incident get their names and contact information. Take photos of the to-go box.

Send a certified letter return receipt requested to the manager of the restaurant. Send a copy to the owner.

The letter should read something like the following...


Dear Sir/Madam:

On April ___, 2012 I was in the _________ restaurant located at _______. While there I ordered food to go. When I looked at the box containing my meal there was a drawing of a penis on it. No one had contact with that box between the time I purchased the meal and the time I saw the drawing other than your employees and me.

The drawing was vulgar and inappropriate. It caused severe emotional distress and anxiety.

I demand an apology and compensation for my emotional distress and anxiety.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to settle this matter. I would prefer to do so without the need for legal representation.

Your truly,



If you don't receive a satisfactory response your next step will be to consider consulting with an attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Employee Negligence Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: