Head Injury at School Needs Stitches...

by Brittney
(College Park, GA, USA)

My 6 year old son was in school when he hit his head on a door and needed stitches. I was told by the nurse that he had been playing in the bathroom and he slipped on some water and fell, but he told me that he was pushed by two other boys.

I'd like to know if we have legal rights to pursue the school or the other boys for my son's injury and medical bills?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Head Injury at School Needs Stitches...":

Brittney (College Park, GA, USA):

You do have a right to seek compensation from the school for your son's injuries and his resulting medical bills. The issue won't be liability as much as it will be the type and extent of your son's injuries and medical bills.

Unless your son suffered some serious bodily injury which will require substantial medical treatment, it is probably not worth going through the trouble of pursuing legal action against the school.

You would be best served by waiting until your son's injures are completely healed. Then take his medical bills, along with the doctors diagnosis and prognosis, to the school principal. Tell her you want to file a claim so the school can reimburse you for the medical bills incurred because of your son's injuries.

If the amount is reasonable they shouldn't hesitate to pay. If for any reasons they refuse then you can go to the next step and consider filing a lawsuit against them.

Hopefully his injuries have alrady healed. Regardless, it would be a good idea to speak with someone in authority at the school so things like this don't happen again.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to School Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: