Herniated and Bulged Disc from Fall While Working...

by Anonymous

I work as a utility meter reader. In January when there was a lot of snow I slipped and fell on my back. There was a smooth piece of wood under the snow that I didn't see. I called my supervisor immediately and went home. I went to a doctor the next morning and my employer took care of the bills and I got treatment.

I had x-rays and an MRI which found a herniated disc and a bulged disc in my lower back. I have been waiting for 3 months for some kind of payment or compensation for my time off work. I still can't return to work because of the pain and my doctor said I might have to get surgery.

The workers compensation representative sent me to one of their doctors last week (finally after 3 months) and I still haven't heard anything. I call and email them and they wont talk to me.

Will I start getting checks for my time off work? If so, when? I can't pay any of my bills and I don't know what to do. Should I try to get unemployment? What should I do? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Herniated and Bulged Disc from Fall While Working...":

Anonymous (USA):

You should have been getting paid while the workers' compensation doctor says you are unable to work. From the facts you present, there doesn't appear to be any compelling reason why you should not. Contact the workers' comp representative and tell her you want your wages. You can also apply for unemployment.

There are attorneys who specialize in workers' compensation cases. Contact one immediately. They won't charge you any fee for an initial office consultation. If they take your case, their legal fees are set by law, and are usually quite reasonable.

There isn't any reason for you to continue to be abused. You were injured on the job and have the same rights as any other employee to be fairly compensated for your injuries.

Unless there is additional information you haven't shared, if you can't get any satisfaction from the workers' comp representative, there isn't any reason for you to sit around any longer.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Back Injury at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: