Herniated Discs from Getting Hit By a Woman Backing Out of a Parking Space...

by Ann

I was walking to my car in the rain. A woman not paying attention pulled out of a parking space and she hit me with her truck. I suffered 2 herniated discs in my back and other stresses. I even lost my job. Can I fairly ask for $300,000? What can I ask for? This happened in Kentucky.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Herniated Discs from Getting Hit By a Woman Backing Out of a Parking Space...":

Ann (Kentucky):

The amount you can consider asking for should include all your "damages." Damages can include the cost of your medical bills, out of pocket expenses for medications, parking fees at the doctor, hospital, etc, your lost wages and pain and suffering, also called emotional distress or mental anguish.

The traditional manner of determining the amount of damages is by multiplying the cost of your medical bills by 2 - 5 times, depending on the strength of your case. The multiple is meant to cover all your damages. So let's say your total medical bills amount to $1,000. You might make an initial demand of $4,000. You shouldn't consider settling your claim until you've completed your treatment and know its total cost.

Unfortunately the amount of $300,000 dollars sounds unreasonable. There's very little chance you'll be able to recover any amount close to that, even in light of the loss of your job.

You might want to consider speaking with a personal injury attorney, even if it's only to help you decide what amount would be appropriate to request. Most personal injury attorneys don't charge for initial consultations. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by consulting with one or more. Be sure to bring to the consultation(s) all your medical bills, and receipts for all your out of pocket expenses. You might want to also bring the letter of termination of your employment.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident Back Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: