Hit By a Car While Riding My Bike...

by Robert
(Long Beach, CA USA)

I was hit by a car while riding my bike. Someone called 911 and the Fire Department, Paramedics and Police showed up. They said I was at fault but I do not think so. I'm okay, just chalking it up as a bad day, but I'm afraid that they might try and bill me for the 911 call that I didn't even make.

Any thoughts?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Hit By a Car While Riding My Bike...":

Robert (Long Beach, CA USA):

It is altogether possible you will receive a bill from the paramedic and ambulance company. If you do you can dispute the bill. Doing so though may place you in a precarious position.

Your question implies the bill, if one exists, should be paid by the person who called 911. That might be considered by some as not well thought out, or by others as quite selfish. How would the person have known if you suffered a concussion, or had any internal injuries. Those symptoms normally can't be identified by the naked eye. They have to be diagnosed by a physician or a paramedic.

Your question further implies if you were a witness to a car accident where someone was actually struck and appeared to be injured you would have ignored their plight for fear of incurring a bill from the responding paramedics.

Your attitude might be likened to the ubiquitous "I don't want to get involved" mantra so many people live by.

If you get the bill pay it. Thank your lucky stars the person who called 911 wasn't one of those people who just didn't want to get involved.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Bicycle Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: