Hit on the Head By Falling Object in a Store...

by Lety

I was inside a world market store looking at the framed art 2 days ago, when a sharp metal object fell on my head. I left the store without filing a report or anything. I now have a huge bump on my head and it still hurts.

When I called the store this morning they said they have no cameras and they really cant do anything for me. Is there anything I can/should do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Hit on the Head By Falling Object in a Store...":

Lety (Tucson):

Yes. Go to either the local hospital emergency room or medical clinic. If that is not practical then go to your own physician. Before you know whether you have a claim, you must know what that claim will be based upon.

Hopefully the bump will be nothing more than a “soft tissue” injury. That’s an injury which occurs primarily to a person’s tissue area and usually doesn’t include such injuries as broken bones, torn ligaments or tendons, or even internal organs.

A bump on the head is usually classified as a “contusion”. Once you seek medical care you will be in a better position to know if your injury is serious or not. If it is not then you will be left with a small amount of medical bills.

With those bills you can contact the store and remind them of the incident. At that time you can include copies of your medical bills and ask the store to reimburse you. Inasmuch as they have already seemed to be backing away from accepting liability you may have a difficult time convincing them to reimburse you.

If they persist in denying liability you can always consider filing a small claims court action. Because the process can be time consuming if the amount of medical bills is not substantial, you might want to reassess your decisions.

If for any reason your injuries are serious you should consider visiting with a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge any fee for an initial office consultation. Visiting with one (or more) will afford you a better idea of your rights and the store’s responsibilities.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Retail Store Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: