Hit while riding my bike by uninsured driver who ran a stop sign...

by Anthony
(Ormond Beach, Florida)

I was riding my bike, crossing the intersection, and a man in a truck ran a stop sign and hit me. He looked left but not right. I was severely injured (fractured my L4 Lower Lumbar), have lost days at work, and now have to take pain meds. I'm so worried and scared that this man will get away with this since he did not have auto insurance.

I'm in such pain and would like to know if anyone can tell me by best move at this point. What can I do? What recourse do I have? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Hit while riding my bike by uninsured driver who ran a stop sign...":

Anthony (Ormond Beach, Florida):

Don't despair. There is hope. Florida is a no-fault insurance state. Presuming you drive and carry car insurance, your insurance will likely cover your injuries and their resulting costs. This is because you were involved in a car accident. It doesn't matter if you were driving your car or riding your bicycle.

You may also be able to recover your medical expenses from your own insurance policy under your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. Further, if you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage, your own insurance will likely provide coverage for your injuries.

Contact your insurance company and file a claim. While the driver may get away with not having insurance when he crashed into you, you can be confident once your insurance company provides coverage to you, the company will turn around and subrogate against the driver.

This can include filing a lawsuit against him, in which the insurance company pursues compensation from the driver personally for the amounts of money they paid out on your claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Bicycle Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: