Homeowners, Auto or Health Insurance?

by Anonymous
(Saint George, Utah)

My car which is fully insured was parked on my property. It has hydraulics on the trunk. I failed to open it fully for it to engage and it fell on my head.

My question is, which insurance do I file a claim with? My homeowners since it is my property, my auto insurance since it is my car, or my health insurance? I'm not really sure. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Homeowners, Auto or Health Insurance?":

Anonymous (Saint George, Utah):

You can file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance company, your auto insurance company, and even your own health insurance. They are all valid claims. There is no way to tell you which insurance company will agree to pay for the injuries you sustained and the medical treatment the injury required.

Once you file a claim with any or all of the insurance companies, they will initiate an investigation. Part of the investigation will include an Insurance Claims Adjuster contacting you for your recorded statement. That is standard procedure. Don’t hesitate to fully cooperate.

Tell the truth and answer the Adjuster’s questions honestly. As long as you tell the truth you have nothing to be concerned about.

If more than one insurance company pays your claim that is perfectly legal. You and your mother pay insurance premiums and are therefore entitled to collect from every company you paid a premium to.

A comparison might be made to life insurance companies...

If you wanted to insure the life of a family member and decided to purchase 2 or more separate life insurance policies and the family member passed away, you would be able to collect on each insurance policy. It is really no different when purchasing varying forms of insurance which covers personal injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Insurance Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: