Homeowners Insurance for Trip and Fall?

by Chris
(Mebane, NC)

I had a friend that fell inside of my condo. She was drunk and stumbled over her own feet. The next day she went to the emergency room and she had to have surgery. She does have medical insurance and she has worked but she is wanting me to file against my home owners insurance.

What should I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Homeowners Insurance for Trip and Fall?":


Without knowing the reason for her surgery it is difficult to tell if you have any liability at all. Even if she injured herself in your residence that doesn’t mean it is necessarily your fault, especially as the only apparent reason was her drunkenness.

Finally, because her insurance company will be paying for her surgery you will at least know she will be OK.

When anyone files a claim against their homeowner’s policy the insurance company begins an investigation. It usually begins with their taking statements from the participants and witnesses. Common sense tells us when the insurance company’s Claims Adjuster asks your friend how it happened and what led to the fall, she does not intend to tell them the truth - that she was drunk and fell over her own two feet.

That’s bad enough, but we can also presume she would want you to tell the same untruth. It’s not worth it. If that is the “plan” forget about it. That’s a good way to get yourself into big trouble. Accepting money from an insurance company under false pretenses is a felony crime in the state of North Carolina.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Alcohol Related Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: