Hospitalized after Truck Accident at Work...

by Daniel
(Round Rock, TX)

Over 11 years ago I had an accident. I was working for waste management and while I tried to pull myself up to the truck I fell down and got dragged by the truck for about 2 blocks. I was hospitalized, in coma for about 9 hrs and in the ICU for about 2 days.

Afterwards waste management sent me a check for $3,000 and I got physical therapy over a month, however due to lack of transportation I stopped going. But now my pain is coming back and it's really bothering me.

I wanted to see if there's anything I can do because I have no insurance and can't pay for my current treatment. Back then I was new and didn't exactly know what I was supposed to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Hospitalized after Truck Accident at Work...":

Daniel (Round Rock, TX):

Regrettably, in the State of Texas there exists a 2 year Statute of Limitations for almost all personal injury cases. The Statute of Limitations is the time period in which an injured person must either settle his case or file a lawsuit. If neither of those occur the injured person forfeits his legal rights to collect any money through the court system.

From the facts you present it appears when this happened you were not represented by an attorney. If you had been she would have likely advised you never to have settled the case until you'd been examined by several medical specialists. The medical bills for the ambulance, emergency room, the treatment while in a coma, ICU, and probably many days more spent in the hospital should have amounted to tens of thousands of dollars.

It is unclear why you settled for so little. There may have been other factors we are not aware of. In the unfortunate event you are injured again you should consider seeking the advice of a Personal Injury Attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: