How can I get insurance information of the at-fault driver?

by Helen

I was hit by a car while riding my bike and did not know what info I needed to gather. I only gathered the vehicle make, plate number, and their first name and phone number. I filed a police report afterwards when I learned I should treat it like any motor vehicle collision.

Because there was injury involved (albeit minor) and I reported that, I was told by the police officer that the other party would also have to come in to file a report. The police told me I should just call the driver for their insurance info.

I tried calling the driver later to get insurance information, as I am uninsured as a cyclist, but the driver refuses to return my calls. What can I do to file a claim with their insurance company when I am unable to get their info and the police have not been helpful? Thanks for any info you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "How can I get insurance information of the at-fault driver?":

Helen (US):

If you have the driver’s name and contact information, you can compose a letter requesting their insurance information. Send it certified, return receipt requested, so you have proof the driver received it.

Generally speaking, persons in your situation can send a letter along these lines:


Dear Mr./Ms._____

My name is ______. On _______, 2015 you collided with me while I was riding my bicycle. I was injured. As a result of the collision I sustained medical bills and related expenses.

I have repeatedly called you to deal with this matter. Unfortunately, you have failed to return my calls. I need your insurance information to file a claim. In the alternative, I need you to compensate me for my injuries and related expenses.

Please be advised, if I don’t hear from you within seven (7) days of your receipt of this letter, I will file a lawsuit against you in Small Claims Court.

Yours truly,

(Your Name)


If the letter doesn't work, you should follow through and file a lawsuit in small claims court.

Because you didn't include the state in which you reside, and/or where the collision occurred, it's impossible to say the maximum monetary limit you can sue for in small claims court. Read this page for more information.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Bicycle Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: