How do I get my settlement money when I turn 18?

by Albert
(Weslaco, Texas)

I got into an accident when I was 17 and there was ligament damage to my left knee. I got treatment for approximately two months and afterwards I was told that I would get money for the accident and the pain it caused me.

I'm supposed to get $8,000 dollars but the judge said I won't get the money until I'm 18, and told me that it would be in a bank gaining interest till then.

I'm going to be 18 in a week and a half so I'm wondering how I go about getting my money? Do I go to the judge and ask for it on my birthday? Thanks for any info you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "How do I get my settlement money when I turn 18?":

Albert (Weslaco, Texas):

If you were provided any court documents when the judge approved the award the documents should indicate the manner in which you are to be paid. If you don't have the legal documents attempt to find the case number. With the case number you can request from the court clerks a copy of the Judge's Order.

With the Judge's Court Order in hand, when you turn 18 you can take it to the bank in which the money has been deposited. Providing the court order to a person who is in a position to release the funds should enable the funds to be released to you immediately.

Unless the Judge ordered a structured settlement (a settlement which pays out the $8,000 dollars in multiple payments over time), you should have no trouble having the funds paid to you in either cash or a certified bank check. If the Judge ordered a "pay-out" you will have to abide by the Judge's Order.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Lawsuit Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: