How do I make a personal injury claim from outside the United States?

by Leigh-Ann Wilson
(Northern Ireland )

I'm from Ireland but was visiting Florida at the time I was injured. I was entering a restaurant and it was raining. The tiled area outside was wet and as I walked onto the tiles I slipped and fell onto my lower back.

There was a mat but it didn't cover the tiled area and there was no wet floor hazard sign or any other warning. Can I make a personal injury claim? How do I make the claim if I live outside the United States? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "How do I make a personal injury claim from outside the United States?":

Leigh-Ann Wilson (Northern Ireland):

You do have the legal right to file a Personal Injury Claim and you can pursue the claim even though you now live in Northern Ireland.

From a practical standpoint you will need the assistance of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney. If you are still in the United States, do some research and locate an Attorney close to where the injury occured. These days lawyers, just like doctors, can be found rated on various sites on the Internet.

Choose a few and contact them. It's probable none of them will charge you for an initial office consultation. Explain the facts and listen to their advice and counsel.

To be successful in a personal injury claim there have to be “Damages”. Damages translate to medical bills, called “Hard Costs,” out of pocket expenses like medicines, bandages, and the like. Even wages lost as a result of the injuries and related treatment are compensable.

Without documented injuries and subsequent medical treatment you really do not have a compensable claim. Knowing this before you start will save you substantial time and effort.

If you are now in Northern Ireland you can still research and choose several Attorneys from the county in which you were injured. They will probably not charge you for a consultation either.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Personal Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: