How do I recoup my discounted personal injury bill?

by Dr. T.
(Tulsa, OK, USA)

I'm a doctor in Oklahoma. State Farm informed my office today that they will only pay (roughly) 33% of our medical (chiropractic) bill. They say the new rates are due to the fact that they are now contracted with Coventry, as we are, so they are only responsible to pay us 'our' contracted rate (i.e. we are indirectly contracted with State Farm via Conventry Health Care).

Is this Legal? How do I recoup the remainder of my bill? Can I? Do I have to bill the patient for it? Regards.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "How do I recoup my discounted personal injury bill?":

Dr. T. (Tulsa, OK, USA):

There are several issues involved. The insurance company with whom you had a prior agreement to pay a certain percentage of your submitted chiropractic bills should be liable to pay those bills. Of course this assumes you submitted the bills to the previous insurance company in a timely manner. If they refuse to honor the contractual agreement they had with you, you may have a right to sue them for breach of contract.

The next issue involves the new insurance company - Coventry Health Care. It is altogether possible when they took over the insurance from your previous insurance company, their doing so included an assumption of the contractual agreements for claims submitted before the transfer.

To really know about the contractual agreements you will have to retain an attorney to file suit. Once she does she'll be able to subpoena the transfer documents from one insurance company to the next to see if Coventry agreed to assume the contractual obligations of your previous insurance company.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Insurance Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: