How much for medical bills and pain and suffering in a car crash?

by Linsey
(Schererville, IN, US)

A year and a half ago I was in an auto accident. I was riding in the car of the driver who was found to be at fault. I had a fracture to my radial bone and crushed the ulner stynum. This resulted in a cast for 6 weeks then 5 months of physical therapy. After the physical therapy I had surgery where they had to remove 40% of the cartilage in my wrist and another 8 months of physical therapy.

The day of my surgery was the day I was to start cosmetology school. I had to then wait 3 more months to start and have had trouble completing everything because of the pain that still exists.

I have just over $20,000 in medical bills and a year and a half of inconvenience! What is my claim worth? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "How much for medical bills and pain and suffering in a car crash?":

A claim's worth is based upon the medical bills incurred when you are finished treating. It is not clear whether you have been released from treatment or not and it is crucial that you NOT settle a case until that time.

Assuming that you are finished treating and that your medical bills are $20,000 a good starting point for negotiations would be somewhere in the range of $80,000 to $100,000. Now, if the car that he/she hit also submits a claim, you should be advised that the insurance policy has limits.

It is unlikely that the insurance limits here exceed $100,000 since most people have policy limits of $50,000 or less. If other parties submit claims against the driver's insurance, you may be in a situation where the adjuster has to apportion the policy amongst all the injured parties.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Injury Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: