How to get restitution for possible lost future earnings?

by Robert
(Jackson, MS)

I am a city employee. I was hit while driving in my car on my way to work by an individual. In doing so, I broke my phalanx pinky finger on my right hand. I am a Computer Technician so my livelihood is at stake. I was told by my physician that my injury may not heal correctly and might require surgery and therapy. And even after all of that, it might not operate properly again.

The other person's insurance company told me they would take care of all my medical expenses, but could only give me about $2000 for pain/suffering because they don't consider my injury to be serious. He almost didn't believe it was sustained in the car accident.

Is there a way to get compensation for future lost earnings if this injury does affect my ability to do my job? How can I pursue more adequate compensation from the driver's insurance company? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "How to get restitution for possible lost future earnings?":

Robert (Jackson, MS):|

You have three basic choices:

First: Attempt to negotiate a higher settlement for your injury based on your lost future earnings. To do so will require additional medical proof from your physician confirming you may require surgery in the future to correct your injury. The proof can be in the form of a medical narrative written by your treating physician.

Second: Obtain witness statements (if available) from passengers in the car (if any) or from any third parties who will support your contention the injury occurred as a direct result of the collision.

Third: Seek the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney in your area. Most personal injury attorneys do not charge fees for initial office consultations. Bring along copies of your medical records and bills. After consulting with several personal injury attorneys you will have a better idea of the viability of your claim, compensation for lost future earnings, and the probability of a successful resolution.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Injury Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: