Hurt on the job and told to keep working...

by Anonymous
(Albany, NY)

I cut myself pretty bad on the job at 10 am. I called my boss and told him that I need stitches and I was bleeding badly. He told me to do one more delivery (I'm a driver) then he will meet me and replace me. I didn't get medical attention until 6pm. It seems like my boss should have let me go to the hospital earlier.

Is there anything I can do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Hurt on the job and told to keep working...":

Anonymous (Albany, NY):

You can tell your boss you are not happy with his decision to allow you to continue working after being injured. In the facts you present you alluded to the possibly of needing stitches. If you did require stitches your employer should make arrangements with his insurance company to reimburse you for the costs of the medical bills you incurred at the hospital.

If you are concerned about the possibility of scarring, go to a plastic surgeon. You want to be sure the accident didn't cause any permanent scarring. You have a right to be compensated for the injuries you sustained and should be restored to the status you were prior to the injury.

If your employer has workmans compensation insurance be sure to ask for a list of the doctors on the plan. You shouldn't have to pay any money for the consultations with those doctors. You probably won't have to be concerned about any litigation. That's why workmans compensation exists.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Employer Liability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: