I fell and broke my foot painting my father-in-law's house...

by Billy
(Anderson, South Carolina)

While painting my father-in-law's house I fell off the ladder and broke my right foot. I've been out of work for over three months due to the injury. Plus, I've been putting all my medical expenses on my personal insurance because his insurance told me to.

Am I entitled to lost wages and reimbursement for what I spent on medical expenses? What can be done about this? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "I fell and broke my foot painting my father-in-law's house...":

Billy (Anderson, South Carolina):

The answer is...probably. When you say "...his insurance told me to." I'll presume you've already filed a personal injury claim with your father-in-law's homeowners insurance company. Homeowners insurance normally doesn't cover immediate family members or residents of the home. I'll also presume from your question the homeowners insurance company hasn't denied your claim based on your family status.

You really shouldn't have filed a claim with your own medical insurance company. Your father-in-law's homeowners insurance should have assumed payment for your medical bills, out of pocket expenses for medications, crutches, etc., and all of your lost wages to date. The homeowners insurance company should also agree to pay an amount for your pain and suffering.

Because you accepted, and apparently continue to accept benefits from your own medical insurance company, you may be bound to reimburse them once you finally settle your claim with the homeowners insurance company.

Your injury was serious enough to have required the assistance of a personal injury attorney. It's not too late to visit with one. Most won't charge any fee for an initial office consultation. You may be surprised at the difference a good attorney can make in your net settlement.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Off-the-Books Work Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: