I Left the Scene of an Auto Accident...

by Adrian
(Phoenix, Arizona)

I was turning left at an intersection and hit an ongoing vehicle. I did not stop because I was frightened and drove away. I don't have a license nor a permit. I will be turning 18 this December 2011. The damage was minimal, only a couple of scratches. Also, the vehicle belongs to my father.

What charges do I face? What should I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "I Left the Scene of an Auto Accident...":

Adrian (Phoenix, Arizona):

In the State of Arizona the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident when property damage and not personal injury occurred is a jail sentence of up to 30 days and a fine not to exceed $500 dollars.

Additionally the Court may consider probation. The conditions of probation may include the payment of court costs and reimbursement, referred to as restitution.

The section of law which recounts your duties and obligations under the law is:


ARIZONA PENAL CODE Section: 28-662.

Accidents involving damage to vehicle; failure to stop; classification; driver license suspension.

A. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

1. Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident scene as possible but shall immediately return to the accident scene.

2. Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of section 28-663.

3. Make the stop without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

B. A person failing to stop or comply with this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.

C. A court may order the department to suspend the license or permit to drive and any nonresident operating privilege of a person convicted under this section for one year.


We urge you to seek the immediate advice of a skilled Criminal Defense Attorney. There is a good chance a warrant may have already been issued for your arrest.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Hit and Run Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: