I tripped and fell in a grocery store and broke my arm...

by Lajoyce

I was injured when walking into a grocery store. There was a metal strip on their flooring that was lifted up and I didn't see it. I tripped and fell and broke my arm.

They refused to help me. Why would a business refuse to help someone that is injured on their property when they are negligent? What do you think I should do? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "I tripped and fell in a grocery store and broke my arm...":

Property owners are required to make regular inspections of their property and to notify others of all known dangers. More details are required to give you a thorough explanation of whether this is a hazardous or dangerous condition.

For example, if you were simply not looking where you were going and subsequently tripped in the door way, there is likely no negligence in that scenario.

If however, a metal strip was protruding and it actually created a dangerous condition, then there would be liability. The facts as you have described are not detailed enough to make such a determination.

I can answer your question though...

Sometimes a store is ill-equipped to handle emergencies and if you have a minimum wage employee, they often don't know what to do. You are rarely dealing with the owner of the store who consciously decides not to offer assistance.

At this point, you will want to contact the store and do a post accident report and see if they will cooperate. It may also be helpful to contact us again and provide more details.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Supermarket Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: