In the middle of a 3-car collision...

by Lorie
(Sevierville, TN)

I was at a stop light when a man driving behind me ran into the back of my car and totaled out my car. The force caused my car to run into the car in front of me and the driver of that car was injured. Now he wants me to pay for the damages.

I have 2 people that signed police papers saying I was not to blame. I just got the used car I was driving at the time and was starting to look for a job, but now I have no money, no job, and no car! What can be done about this situation? Shouldn't the driver who hit me from behind be responsible for paying for the damage to my car and the driver in front of me?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "In the middle of a 3-car collision...":

Lorie (Sevierville):

The driver who crashed into you from behind should be responsible for the damages to your car and injuries you may have sustained, and for the damages to the car in front of you and any injuries that driver may have sustained.

If you hadn't been stopped at a traffic light the facts and liability would probably be different. In most cases, the driver who hits another car from behind is responsible for the damages he or she causes to the driver in front. The legal theory is there should be enough space between the driver in back and the driver in front to enable the driver behind to stop in time.

Turn the entire matter over to your insurance company. That's what you pay premiums for. They will be on your side. Under the facts you present it's likely they wont pay the driver you crashed into any amount.

In the event you are sued, your insurance company will provide at no cost an attorney to represent you, and in the unlikely event you were to lose the case, your insurance company would pay the amount of the court verdict up to your policy limits.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Car Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: