Injured Ankle from Falling in a Hole in the Street...

by Sarai
(Brooklyn, New york)

I was coming out of the house and walking towards a cab to go to work. I stepped a foot into the street and twisted my ankle by falling into the edge of a hole. It happened around 4:50am so it was dark The hole was by the edge of the sidewalk, where cars park.

I only got to work for an hour because it hurt so bad. If I put weight on my foot or move it it hurts. Basically I can't even walk. What should I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured Ankle from Falling in a Hole in the Street...":

Sarai (Brooklyn, New York):

The first and most important action to take is to seek medical attention. Your health is the most important issue in this process. You will have up to ninety days to file your claim. As a result there is no rush to either file your claim, or settle it at this time.

File a Claim with the City of New York. There is an administrative process. Your claim will be considered a Tort Claim against the City of New York. Filing a Tort Claim doesn’t mean you are suing the city. It means you were injured on New York City property and want to be reimbursed for your injuries.

If your injuries do not include any broken bones, torn ligaments or tendons, and the result of the fall turns out to be a nasty sprain, you might have some second thoughts about filing a claim.

At a minimum you will have to go through giving a recorded statement to the City's Insurance Claims Adjuster. From there you will be asked to be examined by one of the City’s doctors. You may or may not want to go through that experience.

The doctors employed by the city are usually not very friendly in their medical opinions when it comes to those people having a claim against the city. The process is set up so the doctors who render friendly opinions to the city usually stay employed by the city. Take care of your injuries and let the process take its course. You will know in good time what you will eventually need to do.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Public Property Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: