Injured at a Fast Food Chain Restaurant...

by John
(Peoria, Illinois, USA)

I was walking from the conjoined gas station into a major chain fast food restaurant and didn't notice a puddle of soda on the floor. I stepped into it and slipped. As I attempted to regain balance my arm slid against the metal island which holds the soda fountain. I got a gash on my arm 2.5" long and almost an inch deep, through muscle tissue and a vein.

I was taken to the Emergency Room and got 23 stitches, and I almost needed a blood transfusion because I lost so much blood.

What can I do to get compensated for this serious injury? If I have a scar should I ask for more money? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured at a Fast Food Chain Restaurant...":

John (Peoria, Illinois, USA):

The bad news is that you were seriously injured. The good news is you can do something about it. If you were taken to the hospital the gas station/major chain must have created an Incident Report of some type. Additionally, you have the emergency room Admitting Chart, as well as access to the on-call physicians’Medical Narratives.

Start by getting the gas station's number. It's usually on the front window by the door. Then go online and find out where the company headquarters is located. Send them a certified letter, return receipt requested. The letter should not be mean or threatening.

Something like this should work...


Dear Sir/Madam:

On (Date) I was a customer at your store number (Store Number). I was seriously injured when I unknowingly stepped into a puddle of spilled soda. While falling my arm grazed the metal island protruding from the soda machine.

I suffered a serious laceration to my arm. I was immediately taken to the (Name of Hospital's) emergency room where 23 stitches were required to close the gash in my arm.

The injury caused me to endure serious pain and discomfort. Additionally I may require plastic surgery.

Please have someone contact me as soon as possible to make arrangements to compensate me for my injuries.

You can reach me at: (Address) – (Telephone Number) - (Email).

Yours truly,


You should receive a letter or telephone call from someone within 30 days. Be patient. You don’t have to threaten them. They deal with these matters all the time.

If, after 30 days you haven't heard from them, you might consider seeking the advice of a personal injury attorney. Most personal injury attorneys do not charge for an initial office consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Restaurant Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: