Injured by Medical Waste at Work...

by John
(San Jose, CA, USA)

I work for a medical waste disposal company. Most of our clients are hospitals. One job I had was in a hospital where I got poked from a needle that was mixed with pharmaceutical waste. I'm wondering for how long would I be able to file a case against a third party? Would I be able to sue the hospital?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured by Medical Waste at Work...":

In the state of California, you have two years within which to file a claim for personal injuries against the responsible party. In this situation, you may have a workers compensation claim if you were an employee and the injury occurred during the course of your employment.

You may also sue the hospital. You will have to prove, however that the hospital owed you a duty, breached the duty and that you were damaged. In other words, you must prove that the hospital was negligent.

There is undoubtedly a procedure by which to properly dispose of needles in a hospital setting. If someone failed to do so, you most definitely have a claim against the hospital. You may also wish to contact them and file and incident report (if you have not already done so) to establish a paper trail of what happened.

Lastly, if this is a state run facility you may have an administrative requirement which mandates the filing of a state of California government claim form. Be advised that you would only have 6 months to file such a claim form in that instance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Workers Comp Third Party Lawsuit Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: