Injured first day working at a place not legally registered as a business...

by Curious

I had an accident and was injured the first day I started working in a place that's not legally registered as a business, and there is no way I can prove I worked there. I called an ambulance but had to do it outside, 2 blocks away from where the accident actually happened. This was all in NYC.

What are my options? I don't think the place even has workers' compensation insurance. Do I have any chance of getting compensated for the injury? If so, please elaborate. Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured first day working at a place not legally registered as a business...":

Curious (NY):

Unless you have state or federal tax forms, a contract of employment or other written evidence of your employment, it will be difficult to prove you were actually an employee, and thereby be entitled to workers' compensation benefits.

While you may have a very difficult time establishing employment for the purposes of workers' comp, you may still have a viable personal injury claim against your employer. That will depend upon whether or not he or she placed you in danger, knowing there was a likelihood you could be injured.

To pursue a civil action against your employer will require you to establish the employer knew, or should have known the job duties he or she was requiring of you were likely to result in injury. If that's the case, then you may have the basis of a personal injury claim against the employer.

In that case, you would be able to pursue the employer for your medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses (for such items as medication, bandages, crutches, costs of travel to and from treatment, etc.), lost wages, and for your pain and suffering.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Off-the-Books Work Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: