Injured in hit and run while driving my roomate's vehicle?

by Megan
(Virginia Beach, VA)

I was driving my roommate's car and was involved in a hit and run. The incident happened in VA but it is a NC policy. I was injured from the incident, got a concussion, and the car was totaled. My roommate's insurance only had liability, Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) and Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UMBI).

The UMPD was not available because apparently in North Carolina you need to know/identify the at-fault party to receive compensation for the property damage caused by the at-fault party. I maxed out the MedPay on the policy. Can I still submit an UBI claim for the medical bills that were not paid by MedPay, and as well for my pain and suffering?

My health insurance covered a portion of the bills that were outstanding from the hospital, but did not cover all of them. I lost two days of work and was unable to do my normal physical activities for two weeks because of the concussion. I did have permission to use the vehicle at the time of the incident. Thanks for any info you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured in hit and run while driving my roomate's vehicle?":

Megan (Virginia Beach, VA):

You can certainly file a claim under UBI for the remaining medical bills. As long as the policy hasn't paid out the limits, you should be covered. Be sure to secure a copy of the police report. And you will also need copies of all your medical records as they directly relate to the car accident.

It's important to know that whatever money you may receive under UBI may be subject to a lien from your own health insurance company.

If you look at your own health insurance policy, you will likely find there is an indeminifaction clause wherein you agree to reimburse your health insurance company if you receive compensation for your injuries from a collateral source.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Uninsured Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: