Injured Knee While Working as a City Bus Driver...

by Dean
(Des Moines, Iowa)

I'm a city bus driver. I hit my left knee on the corner of the bus fare box and it got hurt very badly. I let my supervisor know about it after it after the accident. I filed a report with the city and they sent me to the company doctor.

Do I have to talk to a lawyer about it also? What else do I need to do? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured Knee While Working as a City Bus Driver...":

Dean (Des Moines, Iowa):

Hopefully you suffered no more than a serious bruise. If so, there is nothing more you need to do. The matter should end when the bruise heals.

If the company doctor thinks the injury is serious enough to include the possibility of a fracture, she may send you for an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), CAT Scan (Computerized Axial Tomography), or X-rays. Those examinations can detect fractures and ligament damage. If you've suffered a fracture or torn ligament your claim against the city will be strengthened.

The other issue to be considered is the possibility of blood clots. Sometimes an injury may appear slight, showing itself as bruising, or some other contusion. Underneath though blood clots can form. In the most extreme examples a blood clot, left undetected and untreated, can move along the blood stream to the heart or brain, causing strokes or death.

Hopefully your injury will not be serious. Remember, do not sign any releases other than a medical release. The only way the city will be able to work toward a settlement is if you sign a medical release, but for now that should probably be the only one you sign.

That’s about all you should sign though. If the city asks you to sign any other documents tell them you need some time to read them. Too many people sign documents placed before them without reading them. They just assume the person who is asking them to sign the documents has their best interests in mind. That’s not always the case.

Read what you sign. Think before you agree to anything, and talk it over with friends or family.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Federal Workers' Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: