Injured on Neighbor's Property...

by Scott
(Pardeevill, WI)

I was at my neighbors house when he was having a garage built by a garage building company. All of a sudden the roof collapsed on me breaking my foot and injuring my back. Should I seek lawyer for compensation or can I do it myself?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured on Neighbor's Property...":

Scott (WI):

You can represent yourself in a personal injury case. If your medical bills are equal to or less than $5,000 dollars you can take advantage of the Wisconsin Small Claims Courts.

To do so you should continue to seek medical care for your injuries. Do not feel you have to rush because the law in Wisconsin permits up to 2 years within which to file a lawsuit. You can either wait until you are fully recovered before making a demand on the contractor’s insurance company, or you can pursue your claim fully now.

Either way you should be sure to seek a financial amount which will cover not only your past and present medical bills, out of pocket expenses, and lost wages, but any future costs as well.

We suggest your demand on the insurance company be a multiple of at least 3 times your medical bills. Doing so will afford you some assurance of payment for your losses as well as enough for any future pain and suffering.

If for any reason you encounter problems with the insurance company you always have the right to consult with a Personal Injury Attorney. Skilled and reputable Personal Injury Attorneys do not charge a fee for an initial office consultation.

It is never too late to seek legal advice. Most Personal Injury Attorneys will be happy to advise you, whether they will ultimately represent you, or not.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Self-representation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: