Injured Thumb While Helping a Friend...

by Linc
(Myrtle Beach, SC, USA)

My friend and I were working on her car at her house. She was using a tool and I was helping her. While I helped she pinched my thumb in the process and ripped it almost all the way off.

I lost my job because of this injury and I owe the hospital for the surgery to re-attach my thumb. Should I sue her homeowners insurance?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured Thumb While Helping a Friend...":

Linc (Myrtle Beach, SC, USA):

In cases of personal injury the procedure is not to sue the homeowners insurance company, nor to sue your friend. Instead, the best way to pursue your claim is to first ask your friend for the name and telephone number of her homeowners insurance company. Getting the insurance policy number is also important.

Call her insurance company and explain you were injured on your friend’s property. Tell them you want to file a claim. They will take your information and you will soon after be contacted by an insurance company representative known as a “Claims Adjuster”.

The adjuster will want to take your telephonic recorded statement. It is standard procedure. Cooperate as much as possible with the adjuster. Her job is to investigate the claim and to pay the appropriate compensation. The last thing she wants is a lawsuit. In a case like yours there shouldn’t be much of a problem getting compensated without the need to file a lawsuit.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Off-the-Books Work Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: