Injured When a Sink Fell on My Foot in Section 8 Apartment...

by Scottie
(Williamsburg, KY)

I was injured when the sink in my Section 8 apartment (Public Housing) fell on my foot while I was shaving. I had just moved into a the apartment 2 weeks before the incident and I reported to the landlord that the sink in the bathroom was hanging at a tilt, as if it were loose from the wall a little.

A few days after that I was shaving so the water was running and when I went to clean my razor the sink fell down onto my foot. I received an injured sciatic nerve from the sink crushing my big toe and it also caused me to fall over into the bathtub and injure my back.

It was a freak accident the way it happened but had the housing authority properly inspected the unit before allowing me to move in this would not have happened in my opinion. Do I have a strong enough case to sue and come out with compensation for my injuries? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured When a Sink Fell on My Foot in Section 8 Apartment...":

Scottie (Williamsburg, KY):

You may not have to sue. Instead send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the Housing Authority's State Office. Although you should add or delete any personal information, the letter should basically read as follows:


Dear Sir/Madam:

April 16th, 2012

My name is Scott _______:

On April ____, 2012 I was injured when a sink in my apartment fell on my right/left foot. As a result my sciatic nerve was injured. I am presently seeking medical attention.

I am not financially able to pay for my medical bills. In addition, I will have to miss several days of work.

I would like to settle this matter amicably. Please contact me as soon as possible so we can make arrangements to cover my damages. If I don't hear from you within fourteen (14) days of your receipt of this letter I will consider legal action.

Yours truly,

Scott __________


This should help. If you don't hear from the housing authority before the expiration of 14 days you can consider contacting a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. That way you will know where you stand, and after the attorney reviews your medical records she will tell you whether you have a case or not.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Apartment Injury Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: