Injured While Driving My Mother's Vehicle...

by Laila
(Kokomo, IN)

I was driving my mother's vehicle and a deer came out in front of me without warning. I tried to avoid it and hit a tree. I had to go to the emergency room for injuries. I got 52 stitches and dislocated my shoulder.

I'm wondering what will happen to me. Will I have to pay for my own medical bills? I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured While Driving My Mother's Vehicle...":

Laila (Kokomo, IN):

You should not have to pay your own medical bills. If your mother had car insurance there is a high probability she carried liability insurance in addition to property damage coverage for her vehicle.

Contact your mother’s insurance company right away. Report the claim. You will soon after be contacted by your mother’s insurance company’s Claims Adjuster.

She will investigate the case, and as part of her investigation, take your recorded telephonic statement. Don’t hesitate to give the adjuster the statement. It is standard procedure in a case such as this.

Tell her the truth. If your mother’s car insurance was valid at the time of the collision there is every reason to believe your injuries and the resulting medical bills should be covered.

Depending on the extent of your mother’s coverage, she may be able to get a rent-a-car while her car is being repaired.

That is why we all purchase automobile insurance. It is for situations just like yours. It really doesn’t matter who was injured. What matters is that you were injured and as a result suffered personal injuries which required medical assistance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Road Quality Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: