Injured while helping a friend in his moving business...

by Ed
(Martinsburg, WV)

My friend does moving for He had a moving job and asked if I could help. While I was helping with the job, I injured my left arm and required surgery. I told my friend of the injury and that surgery was needed, but he said he is not responsible for my injury or expenses. He told me when doing jobs for there is no coverage for injuries.

My friend does have a business though in Hagerstown, Maryland and he advertises his store as well as moving and computer repairs. I don't know what I can do to have my expenses and lost time from my full time job covered by him or his company. Is there anything I can do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured while helping a friend in his moving business...":

Ed (Martinsburg, WV):

You can ask your friend for the name of his business's insurance company and hope he will give it to you voluntarily. If he doesn't you can always consider filing a lawsuit against him. Depending on the amount of your medical bills you can either file a lawsuit against him in Small Claims Court, or if necessary in a higher court.

In the State of Virginia the maximum amount or "jurisdiction" of the court is $5,000 dollars. If your medical bills, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering are less than that you can probably file and pursue the lawsuit with an attorney. If the amount of your medical bills and additional compensation for out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering are higher than $5,000 dollars you will have to go to higher court.

If you go to a higher court you may have to consider retaining your own attorney. That's because your friend's insurance company will probably retain their own counsel to represent your friend.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Employer Liability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: