Injured While in a Hospital for Surgery...

by Vashiona
(Bronx, NY USA)

I had mitral valve heart surgery and upon recovery I noticed pain in my right heel. I showed it to my nurse who explained it may be from not being able to put lotion on it. It was pretty hard and crusty. The pain was annoying but I felt they were the professionals so I left it alone. I was discharged on 8/30/11.

Today, after showering I noticed a crack down the side of my heel. When I looked a bit closer, I realized the layers of my heel were peeled and very hard. It looks like something ate into my heel. What should I do? It hurts when I walk on it. Isn't the hospital responsible for this injury?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured While in a Hospital for Surgery...":

Vashiona (Bronx, NY USA):

Make an appointment with your doctor. Have her take a look at your heel. She may send you to a Podiatrist or Dermatologist, or she may be able to diagnose the problem herself. If the problem can be remedied without surgery and through additional medications only, there isn’t really a case against the hospital or the doctors.

If, on the other hand, the injury turns out to be something more serious, then you will have to have a doctor link the injury to what may or may not have happened at the hospital. We did some research of New York State cases and weren’t able to locate any which associated mitral heart surgery with infections of the foot.

Let’s hope your doctor can treat the problem locally and that it will resolve itself in a short time, and without the need for further surgery or the intervention of the legal process.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Hospital Error Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: