Injured while trying to retrieve computer from abusive husband...

by Jennifer

My relationship has been termed emotionally abusive by several professionals. In a recent scuffle with my husband, he asked to see my computer to go through my browser history (which would create an argument and verbal abuse attack, as he would see my search history included divorce and emotional abuse sites).

I said "no" to him several times and he took my computer from my hands and went to lock himself in the bathroom to go through my laptop. I tried to retrieve it by standing in front of a door that he was trying to close on me.

I asked repeatedly for it as he pushed and shoved me out of the door, into the door jam and shoved me against walls with his body, all trying to get the door to close. I fought back, leveraging my body but not harming him.

When he turned around I tried to grab the computer and he shoved me out of the doorway repeatedly, including pressing his forearm to my throat. I finally conceded and gave up the laptop, then I called the police.

Three days later, half of my body is covered in bruises, some severe. The police advised this was not a case to prosecute due to my childish antics of trying to "wrestle" my computer back. Is this true? Do I have any recourse? What options do I have to stop this and get restitution for the abuse? Thank you.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Injured while trying to retrieve computer from abusive husband...":

Jennifer (Ohio):

Immediately leave the house. Live with family members, friends, or seek out one of many Domestic Violence Shelters in the State of Ohio. You can find a list of those shelters along with their locations and contact information at the Action Ohio website.

If you continue to stay, you are inviting more altercations between you and your husband. Just as you can call the police to report an assault, your husband may do the same. That may result in one or both of you being arrested.

While the dynamics of domestic abuse are complicated, even a person with no experience in domestic abuse would be on solid ground by insisting you leave if you are confident of imminent assault by your spouse.

Your recourse does not include compensation. It's likely you will not find an attorney who will agree to represent you in a civil lawsuit against your husband.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Domestic Violence Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: