Insurance company only pays a maximum of $200 per week?

by Anonymous

I was a passenger in a car that was rear ended. I have a shoulder injury from the seat belt requiring surgery. I will miss at least 6 weeks of work after the surgery. I am an RN and I work full time.

I have been told by the insurance company that they only pay a maximum of $200.00 a week for lost wages! Is that even possible, or legal? Just wondering about that and what I should do to get proper compensation for my lost wages. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Insurance company only pays a maximum of $200 per week?":

Anonymous (Washington):

To answer your questions will require knowledge of the terms of the driver or owner's insurance policy. If the driver's insurance policy limits lost wages to no more than $200 weekly, then that is all you will get from the driver's insurance company. For more money, you will have to turn to the actual driver.

Insurance policies rarely limit lost wage compensation, especially when lost wages can be verified.

In the State of Washington, drivers must carry personal liability and property damage insurance coverage in the following minimum amounts:

- $25,000 for injuries to one (1) person in one (1) accident
- $50,000 for injuries to two (2) or more persons in one (1) accident
- $10,000 for property damage in one (1) accident

To read Washington's car insurance statute go here:
Washington Revised Statutes Section 46.29.090

If you have provided written verification from your employer of your lost wages during the period after the accident while you were treating and recovering, then the insurance company should compensate you accordingly.

If the insurance company persists in refusing to compensate you for your lost wages, seek out the opinion of several personal injury attorneys in your area. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. Take along your medical and therapy records and bills.

Once the attorneys have had a chance to review your documentation and ask you some questions, you will have a better idea of the viability of your claim and the probability of success.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Lost Income Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: