Knocked over by forklift at work...

by Connie

I was injured by a forklift driver close to 7 weeks ago. At the time and still, the majority of the pain has been in my foot. Now for the past 3 days my back has been hurting more and more. When I was injured, I was hit from behind by the forklift and knocked down onto my left side, and this is the side where I'm feeling pain.

Should I bring this to my orthopedist's attention? Or do I need to find another doctor? Will there be any problem with getting compensation for my back pain since it came so long after the actual accident happened? I live in Ohio. Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Knocked over by forklift at work...":

Connie (Ohio):

Of course you should report your pain and discomfort to your orthopedist. Although you didn't mention it, we're going to presume you are going through with a workers compensation claim.

It's difficult to tell if your late reporting of your pain and discomfort will adversely affect your compensation claim. If your pain is truly related to your work injury, your doctor should be able to support your claim in his/her medical narrative (diagnosis and prognosis).

Unfortunately, the 7 week delay may be held against you by your employer's insurance company. They may say your new found pain and discomfort is a result of a new intervening injury.

You certainly have the right to ask to see another doctor. If your orthopedist won't support you, it would be in your best interest to seek a new medical opinion. Even if your orthopedist supports your position it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion as soon as possible.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Forklift Accident Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: