Leg Injured While Getting Out of a Cab...

by Anonymous

I was in a taxi cab (van) and as I was getting out the cab driver took off, smashing my right lower leg. I went to the ER because I thought it was fractured. It's not but it has a large hematoma. I had to take two days off work because of the type of work I do.

Do I have a valid personal injury case? Would I sue the cab driver or taxi company?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Leg Injured While Getting Out of a Cab...":

Anonymous (USA):

Technically you have a personal injury case against the taxi cab company. To go through the entire personal injury process though would be ill-advised. All you suffered was a bruised leg.

A hematoma is really a coagulation of blood. In your case the hematoma combined with a sprain to the muscles or tendons in your leg.

The most you could possibly expect if your prevailed in a personal injury claim against the taxi cab company would be to have your emergency room bill paid. It is very doubtful the taxi cab company would agree to pay any of your lost wages or out of pocket expenses such as prescription or over the counter medications.

Hopefully by now the swelling in your leg has subsided and the hematoma is gone as well.

If you have the medallion of the cab or at least the license plate number you might send them a letter explaining what happened. Maybe they will contact the driver and make sure what happened to you doesn’t happen to anyone else in the future.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Leg Injured While Getting Out of a Cab...

Click here to add your own comments

Law Suit
by: Florida Lawyer

Law Guy is correct. You have a claim for negligence against the cab driver but your damages "appear" negligible, so filing a law suit may not be the best course of action.

I will spare the legal nuances of filing suit, but suffice it say it is an expensive and inefficient process - not well suited for claims with damages less than thirty five thousand dollars.

The cabbie may be an independent contractor who uses the cab. You will need date, time, cab company, and cab number to identify the driver. He may or may not have insurance coverage. You would sue the cab company and the driver.

It is very important to document your injury, take photos of bruises, and make a report to the police or other authority who regulates the cab.

The cab company may have special insurance coverage for medical payments in a general liability or commercial vehicle policy. Your injuries may worsen may even require surgery.

If you wait to document you will never be compensated. Promptly seek out legal advice. A lawyer might assist you and monitor the situation to make sure this does not get worse.

Best of luck,

Mike in FL

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Hit and Run Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: