Liability for Adult Sons...

by Jim

My wife continues to pay for her two sons' car insurance. They are 23 and 21 years old. The cars are in her name.

If either one of them was in a car accident where someone was injured, can they sue us and take everything we've worked for? Or would the liability part of the insurance cover it?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Liability for Adult Sons...":

Jim (Florida):

It works like this:

In the unfortunate event either of your wife's sons or she becomes involved in a vehicular collision and pursue legal action, your wife will be responsible for any amount of a judgment which exceeds her automobile insurance liability limits.

For example, if your wife has the minimum Florida insurance limits of 10/20/10 and the injuries to the passengers in the collision exceed $20,000 dollars, you wife will be responsible for any amount in excess of that amount.

Because Florida liability insurance limits are among the lowest in the nation, your wife should be concerned about the amount of liability insurance she carries. It doesn't take much of a vehicular collision and resulting injuries to rise above the $20,000 dollar mark.

If your wife has property worth more than $20,000 dollars and she is as concerned as you about liability issues, you both would be well-advised to consider purchasing additional automobile liability insurance.

You would be surprised at how little it costs to purchase substantially more automobile liability insurance. A little bit of extra money now could prevent a financial catastrophe in the future.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Liability / Fault Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: